Latest News

Monday, 09 January 2017
Rosberg to watch Melbourne from the couch
Hakkinen confirms Bottas negotiations
Saturday, 07 January 2017
McLaren to run new Honda engine in 2017
Renault to launch on February 21
Alternatives quiet over Silverstone news
Manor admits survival in doubt
Friday, 06 January 2017
Manor to enter administration again
Silverstone warns it could 'break' F1 contract
Ecclestone happy, not angry, as F1 stars retire
Rosberg to remain Mercedes ambassador - report
Bottas ready to win in F1 - trainer
Now Force India reveals 2017 launch date
Thursday, 05 January 2017
Ecclestone wants Schumacher name back in F1
Ecclestone defends Vettel amid criticism
Force India wants to beat top team in 2017 - Ocon
Alesi hails Ferrari deal for Giovinazzi
Merhi not impressed by Verstappen hype
Wednesday, 04 January 2017
Allison 'tragedy' hurt Ferrari - Alesi
Mercedes to launch 2017 car in February
FIA bans Mercedes concept after Ferrari letter - report
'Almost impossible' task for Hamilton teammate - Merhi
Vandoorne plays down Hamilton comparison
'Politics' spoiling McLaren 'passion' - Ramirez
Renault's Palmer not ruling out 2017 podium
Haas 'better fit' than Renault or McLaren - Magnussen
No 2017 return for Haryanto - mother
Tuesday, 03 January 2017
Toro Rosso eyes engine naming deal
Brown plays down McLaren sale talk
Hakkinen hopes to see Schumacher again
Ricciardo relationship could change - Verstappen
Rosberg trainer unsure of next move
Ferrari to crack 1000hp in 2017 - report
Bottas, Wehrlein, Massa moves to be confirmed
Focus leads to Vettel frustration - Ricciardo
McLaren denies Alonso-Le Mans report

News

FIA bans Mercedes concept after Ferrari letter - report
2017-01-04

Jan.4 (GMM) Ferrari has reportedly made a bold bid to catch up in 2017 by designing a new suspension system, or have the Mercedes-pioneered concept banned by the FIA.

Germany's Auto Bild claims that for its 2017 car codenamed 668, Ferrari has come up with a Mercedes-like, hydraulically-networked chassis.

But before debuting it in late February, Ferrari "asked the FIA for clarification as to whether the (suspension) system is really legal".

"If not, Mercedes would have to remove it," said correspondent Bianca Garloff.

Ferrari is not commenting.

But the same news is being reported by Italy's authoritative La Gazzetta dello Sport, adding that Red Bull also ran the Mercedes-like layout last year.

And the newspaper said the FIA has responded to Ferrari's clarification request by telling the teams the Mercedes-like system is not allowed.

Correspondent Paolo Filisetti wrote: "The world championship will not begin for three months, but the technical skirmish between the top teams has already reached a high level."

The FIA's decision to ban the concept is reportedly because it varies the right-height of the car, not simply to act as traditional suspension but for aerodynamic effect.