Latest News

Thursday, 16 February 2017
F1 inches closer to European investigation
Wednesday, 15 February 2017
Zanardi doubts Bottas can take on Hamilton
Pirelli wants wet track for Barcelona test
Fans to see 'real' F1 passing in 2017
McLaren 'neutral' amid F1 suspension battle
Boullier confirms colour change for McLaren
New McLaren 'a lot faster' - Vandoorne
Gutierrez eyes F1 reserve role for 2017
Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Rosberg predicts 2017 podium for McLaren
Bottas not settling for second place
F1 faces potential $168m fine - report
Suspension dispute still raging before test
Pirelli embracing 'challenge' of faster F1 - boss
Monday, 13 February 2017
Dallara hits out at F1's radical new rules
Physio doubts Alonso set to retire
Magnussen admits he voted against Halo for 2018
Giovinazzi not denying Friday practice rumours
Bottas targets beating Hamilton to 2017 title
Mercedes to consider Vettel for 2018 - Rosberg
'No bluffing' in 2017 test season - Lauda
Alonso not backing Brown's 'no wins' claim
Friday, 10 February 2017
Bottas hits back at Hamilton 'career killer' jibe
No more carmakers on F1 horizon - reports
Sauber to decide on 2018 engine supply - report
Perez backs Mexico GP anti-Trump campaign
F1 engines not ready to crack 1000hp - Abiteboul
Renault not replacing boss Vasseur - Abiteboul
Private companies to pay Russia GP race fee
India moves for Mallya's extradition
Raikkonen to open karaoke bar
Alonso to debut 2017 McLaren
Vettel bruised after Fiorano crash
Thursday, 09 February 2017
Renault promising Spain GP engine boost - Marko
Vasseur exit won't hurt Renault - Palmer
Briatore won't join Brawn as F1 'consultant'

News

Suspension dispute still raging before test
2017-02-14

Feb.14 (GMM) A question mark continues to hang above the legality of the fastest two cars ahead of the 2017 season.

Although the new Mercedes and Red Bull cars are yet to be launched, it is already known that they will feature the same 2016-style suspension concept that some are comparing to outlawed active suspension.

Ferrari has already challenged the concept's legality, and at the latest meeting of F1 technical bosses last week, the matter was discussed at length again.

But for now, the FIA is declaring that the system is legal.

Some teams, reportedly led by Ferrari, have argued that Mercedes and Red Bull - or the FIA - should at least explain how the system works, but Auto Motor und Sport correspondent Michael Schmidt reports that "the campaign has been unsuccessful".

So Schmidt said the risk of a formal protest in Melbourne remains.

A report in Italy's authoritative La Gazzetta dello Sport agreed: "The meeting last week did not result in an agreement about what is allowed and what is not.

"Many proposals were on the table, but the position of the teams is very far apart."

However, Gazzetta said one possible outcome before the Barcelona test is that Charlie Whiting will issue a new technical directive regarding suspension legality.

"For the teams it would give enough time to review their projects and adapt, if not in time for Barcelona then for the start of the season in Australia," it added.