Latest News

Friday, 21 April 2017
Villeneuve slams Alonso's Indy 500 critics
Sochi temperatures won't stop Ferrari - Vettel
Lehto tips Raikkonen to bounce back
Bottas must win races to secure seat - Salo
F1 looking for new German GP home - Carey
Honda eyeing engine customer for 2018 - Boullier
Berger hopes Vettel does DTM race
Thursday, 20 April 2017
Ferrari triggers Mercedes 'alarm bells' - Lauda
Vandoorne can relax amid McLaren crisis - Boullier
Wednesday, 19 April 2017
Stroll not getting down about 2017 so far
No room at Porsche for Alonso - boss
Ferrari 'hungrier' than Mercedes - Alesi
Red Bull not letting Sainz go - Horner
Alonso 'advised badly' in F1 career - Horner
Massa accepts Verstappen apology
Former boss hails Renault progress
Mercedes drivers admit tyre problems
Mallya arrested, bailed in London
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Carey hits back at Ecclestone race fee comments
Team orders approach has changed - Wolff
Massa surprised Button not testing in Bahrain
Indy 500 deal 'not my idea' - Boullier
Berger tips Vettel to stay at Ferrari
Force India hails rapid Renault progress
Alonso denies voluntarily quitting Bahrain GP
McLaren 'can't continue like this' - Ojjeh
Ferrari denies 2017 car not suited to Raikkonen
Verstappen apologises for Brazil comments
Monday, 17 April 2017
Alonso, McLaren deny 2018 Le Mans reports
Massa warns Verstappen over Brazil comments
Ferrari, Mercedes 'about equal' - Wolff
Sunday, 16 April 2017
Alonso in talks about 2018 Renault return - report
Vandoorne still 'future champion' - Vasseur
Wehrlein can still feel old back injury
Flexible Ferrari story 'nonsense' - Lauda

News

Vandoorne can relax amid McLaren crisis - Boullier
2017-04-20

Apr.20 (GMM) Eric Boullier insists F1 rookie Stoffel Vandoorne is "not under pressure" amid McLaren-Honda's current performance crisis.

One analysis of the situation might be that with the team struggling for pace and reliability, Belgian Vandoorne is risking his once-in-a-lifetime chance to prove he belongs in F1.

It comes after the highly rated Vandoorne, 24, was not able to even start in Bahrain due to a reliability problem, following two difficult races alongside teammate Fernando Alonso.

But McLaren boss Boullier insists: "He is not under pressure.

"Stoffel knows that we believe in him and that we have him under contract for a long time," the Frenchman told Auto Motor und Sport.

"He does not have to prove it to us in every race. We understand that this is not possible at the moment," Boullier added.

Meanwhile, Boullier admitted that he was not initially on board with McLaren executive Zak Brown's plan to let Alonso do the Indy 500 next month.

But, as with the Vandoorne situation, the Frenchman eventually acknowledged that McLaren has to look after its drivers at the moment.

"We do not want the fire in him (Alonso) to go out," he said. "Fernando wants to win, no matter what he does, and at the moment he cannot do that in formula one."

Finally, McLaren had a much better day of pace and reliability at the Bahrain test on Wednesday, but Boullier was cautious about celebrating too much.

"If we knew why ... that is the problem," he is quoted by the Spanish daily AS.