Latest News

Wednesday, 26 April 2017
Mercedes dominance 'not good for F1' - Wolff
Ecclestone sends 'message' to new F1 bosses
F1 could 'lose' Brazil GP - Ecclestone
Vettel to use 'racing socks' from Russia
More Fridays planned for Renault's Sirotkin
F1 bans 'shark fins' for 2018
Tuesday, 25 April 2017
Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future
Track test for Button 'not useful' - Boullier
Sochi brake switch for Haas unlikely
Monday, 24 April 2017
Ecclestone tips Hamilton to beat Vettel
McLaren crisis 'worse' for Alonso - Boullier
Kubica not ruling out 'second F1 debut'
F1 could scrap engine rule tweak for 2018
Pirelli rules out Prost tyre idea
Friday, 21 April 2017
Villeneuve slams Alonso's Indy 500 critics
Sochi temperatures won't stop Ferrari - Vettel
Lehto tips Raikkonen to bounce back
Bottas must win races to secure seat - Salo
F1 looking for new German GP home - Carey
Honda eyeing engine customer for 2018 - Boullier
Berger hopes Vettel does DTM race
Thursday, 20 April 2017
Ferrari triggers Mercedes 'alarm bells' - Lauda
Vandoorne can relax amid McLaren crisis - Boullier
Wednesday, 19 April 2017
Stroll not getting down about 2017 so far
No room at Porsche for Alonso - boss
Ferrari 'hungrier' than Mercedes - Alesi
Red Bull not letting Sainz go - Horner
Alonso 'advised badly' in F1 career - Horner
Massa accepts Verstappen apology
Former boss hails Renault progress
Mercedes drivers admit tyre problems
Mallya arrested, bailed in London
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Carey hits back at Ecclestone race fee comments
Team orders approach has changed - Wolff
Massa surprised Button not testing in Bahrain

News

McLaren crisis 'worse' for Alonso - Boullier
2017-04-24

Apr.24 (GMM) McLaren-Honda's performance crisis is "worse" for Fernando Alonso than it is for his rookie 2017 teammate Stoffel Vandoorne.

That is the claim of the struggling, once-great British team's boss Eric Boullier.

His comments come as Spaniard Alonso made his first appearance at an Indycar race at the weekend, meeting with the Andretti team and sitting in the cockpit.

A week ago, he shocked the entire motor sport world by announcing he will sit out Monaco next month in a bid to win the fabled Indy 500.

Alonso says he wants to complete the 'triple crown' by adding Indy and Le Mans to his past Monaco wins, but one explanation is that his adventure next month is simply a way to cope with his third consecutive season with an uncompetitive McLaren-Honda.

Bernie Ecclestone said in Bahrain that he would have talked Alonso out of racing at Indy if he was still in charge of F1.

But the 86-year-old nonetheless told Bild am Sonntag newspaper: "A driver like him should never have to race at the back of the grid."

McLaren chief Boullier said of the team's situation: "I would say that it is worse for Fernando, because Stoffel is still young and still has so much to learn.

"He (Vandoorne) has tied himself to McLaren in the long term and is therefore assured of the team's support. That is why, in truth, he can wait a little," Boullier added.