Latest News

Tuesday, 25 April 2017
Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future
Track test for Button 'not useful' - Boullier
Sochi brake switch for Haas unlikely
Monday, 24 April 2017
Ecclestone tips Hamilton to beat Vettel
McLaren crisis 'worse' for Alonso - Boullier
Kubica not ruling out 'second F1 debut'
F1 could scrap engine rule tweak for 2018
Pirelli rules out Prost tyre idea
Friday, 21 April 2017
Villeneuve slams Alonso's Indy 500 critics
Sochi temperatures won't stop Ferrari - Vettel
Lehto tips Raikkonen to bounce back
Bottas must win races to secure seat - Salo
F1 looking for new German GP home - Carey
Honda eyeing engine customer for 2018 - Boullier
Berger hopes Vettel does DTM race
Thursday, 20 April 2017
Ferrari triggers Mercedes 'alarm bells' - Lauda
Vandoorne can relax amid McLaren crisis - Boullier
Wednesday, 19 April 2017
Stroll not getting down about 2017 so far
No room at Porsche for Alonso - boss
Ferrari 'hungrier' than Mercedes - Alesi
Red Bull not letting Sainz go - Horner
Alonso 'advised badly' in F1 career - Horner
Massa accepts Verstappen apology
Former boss hails Renault progress
Mercedes drivers admit tyre problems
Mallya arrested, bailed in London
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Carey hits back at Ecclestone race fee comments
Team orders approach has changed - Wolff
Massa surprised Button not testing in Bahrain
Indy 500 deal 'not my idea' - Boullier
Berger tips Vettel to stay at Ferrari
Force India hails rapid Renault progress
Alonso denies voluntarily quitting Bahrain GP
McLaren 'can't continue like this' - Ojjeh
Ferrari denies 2017 car not suited to Raikkonen

News

Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future
2017-04-25

Apr.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and McLaren are looking to return to the Indy 500 in the future.

Recently, the British team shocked the racing world by announcing that together with the Andretti team and Honda, Alonso will bid to win next month's Indy 500 with a McLaren entry.

"I want to win the triple crown," said Alonso, referring to his ambition to also add a Le Mans win to his former Monaco triumph.

"If I don't do it (win at Indy) this year, I will have to do it next year."

And American Zak Brown, the McLaren executive who replaced former team supremo Ron Dennis, confirmed that the marque would also like to go back to Indy beyond 2017.

"I'd like to see McLaren here on a more regular basis," he said.

"Would we do it with Fernando again? Absolutely."

However, McLaren has taken criticism for allowing Alonso - its top driver - to skip F1's marquee event at Monaco in order to race at Indy.

Brown responded: "All I can say is I hope we have the problem of Monaco and Indy in the same weekend (in the future) and we are fighting for the championship."

Alonso will make his Indy test debut at the fabled Motor Speedway on May 3, just days after this weekend's Russian grand prix.

He attended the Indy race in Alabama last weekend, and this week had a seat fitting at Andretti's team factory.

"Definitely busy weeks," Spaniard Alonso admitted. "There are so many things I have to learn and I am not ready yet, but I am confident I will be able to adapt as quick as I can."