Latest News

Tuesday, 25 April 2017
Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future
Track test for Button 'not useful' - Boullier
Sochi brake switch for Haas unlikely
Monday, 24 April 2017
Ecclestone tips Hamilton to beat Vettel
McLaren crisis 'worse' for Alonso - Boullier
Kubica not ruling out 'second F1 debut'
F1 could scrap engine rule tweak for 2018
Pirelli rules out Prost tyre idea
Friday, 21 April 2017
Villeneuve slams Alonso's Indy 500 critics
Sochi temperatures won't stop Ferrari - Vettel
Lehto tips Raikkonen to bounce back
Bottas must win races to secure seat - Salo
F1 looking for new German GP home - Carey
Honda eyeing engine customer for 2018 - Boullier
Berger hopes Vettel does DTM race
Thursday, 20 April 2017
Ferrari triggers Mercedes 'alarm bells' - Lauda
Vandoorne can relax amid McLaren crisis - Boullier
Wednesday, 19 April 2017
Stroll not getting down about 2017 so far
No room at Porsche for Alonso - boss
Ferrari 'hungrier' than Mercedes - Alesi
Red Bull not letting Sainz go - Horner
Alonso 'advised badly' in F1 career - Horner
Massa accepts Verstappen apology
Former boss hails Renault progress
Mercedes drivers admit tyre problems
Mallya arrested, bailed in London
Tuesday, 18 April 2017
Carey hits back at Ecclestone race fee comments
Team orders approach has changed - Wolff
Massa surprised Button not testing in Bahrain
Indy 500 deal 'not my idea' - Boullier
Berger tips Vettel to stay at Ferrari
Force India hails rapid Renault progress
Alonso denies voluntarily quitting Bahrain GP
McLaren 'can't continue like this' - Ojjeh
Ferrari denies 2017 car not suited to Raikkonen

News

Track test for Button 'not useful' - Boullier
2017-04-25

Apr.25 (GMM) McLaren's simulator is good enough for Jenson Button to prepare for Monaco.

That is the view of Eric Boullier, following Felipe Massa's expression of surprise that the retired 2009 world champion sat out the recent post-Bahrain grand prix test.

Button, 37, is making a one-off return to F1 in Monaco next month, filling in for Fernando Alonso who is tackling the fabled Indy 500.

But he will prepare only in McLaren's state of the art simulator at Woking.

That surprised fellow veteran Massa.

"If the simulator is good enough, why don't most of the top drivers want to use them?" he asked.

But McLaren boss Boullier thinks the simulator is in fact the best option for Button.

"Given the technology of this car, we decided that organising a test would not have been useful," he is quoted by Spain's El Confidencial.

"The simulator is very realistic so it's best for him to test the car there," the Frenchman added.

"After 10 laps, he'll be fine," said Boullier.

Massa, however, warned that the 2017 cars are "very different" to the cars that Button last raced in 2016, requiring a higher level of fitness.

But Button said: "I've done a lot of triathlon training recently, so I have no worries."

Boullier agreed: "He's only missed a handful of grands prix and he's as fit as a fiddle. And he's always been good at Monaco. He'll do a great job, I'm sure of that."