Latest News

Saturday, 29 April 2017
Vettel backs struggling Raikkonen
Indy 500 about Alonso's 'ego' - Wolff
Ongoing Honda problems 'incredible' - Alonso
Officials hint Kvyat staying at Toro Rosso
Red Bull doubts F1 engine parity claims
Mercedes not leaving F1 for Formula E - Lauda
Hamilton denies Mercedes sandbagging
Friday, 28 April 2017
Hamilton backs New York night race plans
Force India not affected by Mallya issues - Perez
Alonso still not regretting Ferrari exit
Sepang boss slams Ecclestone, Liberty
'Shield' to make practice debut at Monza
Force India unhappy with driver names on cars
Briatore backs Alonso's Indy 500 challenge
Hamilton open to Mercedes team orders
Thursday, 27 April 2017
Nasr working on F1 return for 2018
Honda help 'better for F1' - Boullier
Haug questions Alonso's Indy move
Wednesday, 26 April 2017
Kvyat admits 'not friends' with Sainz
Renault boss plays down Alonso reports
F1 could help Honda end crisis - report
Mercedes dominance 'not good for F1' - Wolff
Ecclestone sends 'message' to new F1 bosses
F1 could 'lose' Brazil GP - Ecclestone
Vettel to use 'racing socks' from Russia
More Fridays planned for Renault's Sirotkin
F1 bans 'shark fins' for 2018
Tuesday, 25 April 2017
Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future
Track test for Button 'not useful' - Boullier
Sochi brake switch for Haas unlikely
Monday, 24 April 2017
Ecclestone tips Hamilton to beat Vettel
McLaren crisis 'worse' for Alonso - Boullier
Kubica not ruling out 'second F1 debut'
F1 could scrap engine rule tweak for 2018
Pirelli rules out Prost tyre idea

News

F1 could 'lose' Brazil GP - Ecclestone
2017-04-26

Apr.26 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says it is still possible F1 could be set to lose the popular and traditional Brazilian grand prix.

Recently, the former F1 supremo revealed he had been put in charge of staging talks with Brazilian officials about rescuing the embattled race at Interlagos.

"Chase (Carey) asked that when I went to Brazil, 'Would I speak to the president about the race', which I had done before," Ecclestone told Brazil's UOL Esporte.

"But it seemed pretty obvious to me that he had several other things to worry about than formula one. So we went to the mayor of Sao Paulo, but he does not want to spend a single dollar -- he wants to sell the circuit," the Briton added.

Indeed, Ecclestone was subsequently linked with a potential bid to personally buy Interlagos.

"He (the mayor) asked me if I would be interested. We can get him to agree that when the sale happens, whoever buys it will have to keep the formula one circuit.

"Then it's a case of finding an organiser for the race, which is a bit more difficult," he explained.

"So I think that if we can't do anything, we will lose it, for sure."

However, UOL reports that Interlagos race promoter Tamas Rohonyi was in Paris this week for contract talks with the FIA.

Ecclestone said: "The race will be there 100 per cent until 2020."