Latest News

Saturday, 29 April 2017
Vettel backs struggling Raikkonen
Indy 500 about Alonso's 'ego' - Wolff
Ongoing Honda problems 'incredible' - Alonso
Officials hint Kvyat staying at Toro Rosso
Red Bull doubts F1 engine parity claims
Mercedes not leaving F1 for Formula E - Lauda
Hamilton denies Mercedes sandbagging
Friday, 28 April 2017
Hamilton backs New York night race plans
Force India not affected by Mallya issues - Perez
Alonso still not regretting Ferrari exit
Sepang boss slams Ecclestone, Liberty
'Shield' to make practice debut at Monza
Force India unhappy with driver names on cars
Briatore backs Alonso's Indy 500 challenge
Hamilton open to Mercedes team orders
Thursday, 27 April 2017
Nasr working on F1 return for 2018
Honda help 'better for F1' - Boullier
Haug questions Alonso's Indy move
Wednesday, 26 April 2017
Kvyat admits 'not friends' with Sainz
Renault boss plays down Alonso reports
F1 could help Honda end crisis - report
Mercedes dominance 'not good for F1' - Wolff
Ecclestone sends 'message' to new F1 bosses
F1 could 'lose' Brazil GP - Ecclestone
Vettel to use 'racing socks' from Russia
More Fridays planned for Renault's Sirotkin
F1 bans 'shark fins' for 2018
Tuesday, 25 April 2017
Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future
Track test for Button 'not useful' - Boullier
Sochi brake switch for Haas unlikely
Monday, 24 April 2017
Ecclestone tips Hamilton to beat Vettel
McLaren crisis 'worse' for Alonso - Boullier
Kubica not ruling out 'second F1 debut'
F1 could scrap engine rule tweak for 2018
Pirelli rules out Prost tyre idea

News

Haug questions Alonso's Indy move
2017-04-27

Apr.27 (GMM) A former F1 chief has questioned McLaren's decision to tackle the Indy 500 with Fernando Alonso next month.

For many years, Haug was the head of Mercedes' F1 programme, including in 2007 when Alonso raced for the works team McLaren.

So as McLaren and Alonso now head to Indianapolis amid the deep Honda crisis, he said: "My experience is that homemade problems are not remedied by the construction of a new one.

"Without experience, to make your Indycar debut on the high speed oval I think is a suboptimal idea," said Haug.

"Ok, a rookie won there last year and perhaps Alonso will too -- but will he then return to formula one more motivated than before, to run at the back again?

"For Indy, Alonso's start is a coup, but at 35 with no oval experience and 385kph, I think it's not the best and safest winning combination. I keep my fingers crossed," he added.

McLaren team figures have suggested Alonso needed the Indy 500 challenge to keep his competitive fire alive, but others think the Spaniard could still quit F1 at the end of the year.

"I don't think so," Haug said.

"Alonso is a racer through and through, but he was often at the wrong team at the wrong time, as he is now with McLaren-Honda while his former team Ferrari wins.

"He has made mistakes," he concluded.