Latest News

Thursday, 25 May 2017
No pressure for Button in Monaco - Kvyat
Toro Rosso drivers want Renault 'progress'
Cesare Fiorio 'improving' after cycling crash
Stroll expects difficult first Monaco GP
Monaco win unlikely for Red Bull - Newey
Sponsor enabled Wolff switch - Wolff
Raikkonen plays down 'wheelbase' story
Alonso at Indy doesn't hurt F1 - Steiner
Ferrari has caught Mercedes on race starts
F1 changes cars after Monger crash
Carey announces 21 races for 2018
Wednesday, 24 May 2017
Hamilton, Vettel keep 'respect' for 2017 battle
Boullier not ruling out McLaren-Honda 'divorce'
Rosberg eyes role with Monaco GP promoter
Hamilton has 'whole team' behind him now - Rosberg
Tuesday, 23 May 2017
Vettel, Hamilton's rivals 'can't keep up' - Lauda
Alonso 'not on Mercedes wish list' - Lauda
Long wheelbase to hurt in Monaco - Mercedes
Alonso to 'represent' F1 drivers well - Sainz
Massa hails Lowe's impact at Williams
Monday, 22 May 2017
Lauda would 'veto' McLaren-Mercedes deal
Teams 'exaggerating' data to Pirelli
Lauda to watch Alonso's Indy 500 bid
Liberty to reveal F1 budget cap plan
F1 to consider extending DRS zones
Massa could stay at Williams in 2018
Reliability takes hit as teams push limits - Wolff
Friday, 19 May 2017
Marko rules out Le Mans for Red Bull
Magnussen-manager dispute heads to court
Trailing Bottas still not 'no.2' - Wolff
Brawn says Vettel 'key to Ferrari success'
Carey expects 'turbulent' F1 talks
Pirelli axes hard tyres for Silverstone
Thursday, 18 May 2017
Marko confirms official role for Jos Verstappen
Teams unhappy amid Mercedes-Honda cooperation rumours

News

Marko rules out Le Mans for Red Bull
2017-05-19

May 19 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says Red Bull will not be heading to Le Mans any time soon.

The energy drink company has two teams in F1 and been represented at the highest level of just about every series.

But Red Bull is conspicuously absent at Le Mans, the most famous endurance sports car race.

When asked if the brand might consider a foray in the world endurance championship, Red Bull official Marko answered: "No. We are concentrated on formula one.

"If you look at it, the costs are very high for the championship, but there's only one race that matters or is covered," he told Spain's El Confidencial.

When asked if Red Bull would even consider a major team sponsorship deal at Le Mans, he added: "No."

As for Red Bull's plight in F1 this year, Marko insisted that the brand has not given up on the title despite clearly trailing Mercedes and Ferrari so far.

"No," he said, "otherwise we would not be making the effort that we are.

"But this power unit in formula one is not a normal engine," Marko continued. "So if your combustion system is better, the electrical part is better.

"After the first four races Ferrari seemed like the big favourite, but it seems that in Barcelona Mercedes took a big leap with the engine. You change the engine and 'bang!', you take a big leap again," he said.